Wednesday, February 4, 2009

In Love and War

Sometimes I wonder if the reason we’re alive
And crawling, though we should be dead
Is because deep inside we never quit fighting
And we never gave in to what’s left

Though the battle was waging and the lines were dividing
You were pulled left and I was pulled right
My skin kept tearing, the scars bursting forth
In spatter of blood color-coating the night

But we wouldn’t let go even when we lay broken
Our hands smashed but still in a clasp
The broken fingers gripping each other
Like the last silhoutte clings to the fading moon’s grasp

And they took you away to your deathbed
Where they waited but they waited in vain
I cried out in anguish when they buried me alive
For I was not dead; only in pain

They made you a prisoner of war
And corrupted you with brainwashing lies
Told you that we were not fighting together
But instead we were on different sides

They threw off your focus and made you believe
That the love I was fighting for was only a lie
The bullets kept piercing, my soul kept on screaming
And the antagonist said, “why won’t she die?”

Because I am a lover but also a fighter
To be a lover is always to fight
And I may not like the post-traumatic symptoms I carry
But I know in the end it is right

I could have evaded the war that I suffered
But for me it was never a choice
Because the day that no one will stand up to fight
Is the day that belief loses its voice

And I? I believe in love, believe in us
And all the things that people claim I shouldn’t say
Because they’re too deep and so vastly meaningful
The world will think them cliche

But I will declare it to the end of the world
And will never give up the fight
And I know that the reason we’re still alive
Is because someone has to stand for what’s right

3 comments:

  1. ...I want to comment...but it is too much right now...I know you can feel all I don't have words to say...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this summed it up, if it can be summed up. I agree with MB, it's too much and there's too much to say, but this is beautiful. and you know the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks ladies. as i think the general consensus is... i'm not really sure what more to say... but i think this is all. i'm glad you thought it appropriate.

    ReplyDelete