Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Weary Night I Know So Well

So, this poem is rather unconventional because there is no set rhyme or meter, but bear with me. I am not a very socially acceptable person and this just a fact of life.


The nights are long and the lights are low
And you’re just someone I used to know.
Casting shadows on the wall
Because your words make me so small
I need a way to prove
That I can finally stand.
The washer’s going, the floor needs swept
I’m sitting alone and Jesus wept
And I am weeping, too.
Making droplets on my hand.

What happened to knowing it’d never be okay?
What false security lead me to feel this way?
What was I thinking to relax and close my eyes?
Not that it would have mattered, because the demons were disguised.(As you)

When the pieces fell and the children cried
Cause the puzzle’s broken and Grandma’s died.
I only thought of you.
When the resounding silence filled the void
Leaving me alone and paranoid
I remembered a detail of your skin.
(How did this all begin?)
(Hey, do you remember when?)

I couldn’t see the difference
Between the grass and the summer sky
Because love had made me blind.
Now the scales have fallen away
And I can see the colors again.
But without you all the shades are gray
So I guess it’s all the same.

And when did the moments slip away
Into picking at nails and staring past
Your face so I didn’t have
To look you in the eye?
When did my name lose yours
And all the things that made us laugh
Only make me cry?

I kissed the frame of a broken thought
And settled into my nest.
Wove my blanket out of my hair
Alone without my best,
Cause you took that when you left.

So tell the world what a fiend I am.
Spread your lies and make yourself feel bigger
Like my shadow on the wall.
It doesn’t matter to me anymore
I’ve been there, I’ve seen it all,
And can say without a shadow of doubt
I’ve been shocked by what you can live without.
Your life is your own call.

And I’d rather be alone
In my nest of shattered dreams
Than live my life beneath your thumb
Missing all the could-have-beens.

Tell your new girlfriend hello
And your sister that I said hi.
I suppose that soon she’ll hate me, too
For all I allegedly did to you
But I can’t change a lie
Or make someone see the truth.

The nights are long and coated in dew
And you’re just someone I never knew.

1 comment: